Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Exploring Amsterdam


Another travel post, can you tell I don't want to be back at uni? I'm reminiscing my fab summer! This time it's about my few days away in Amsterdam in June.

 I loved the city, although it was a crazy place of two halves. How can a place so architecturally beautiful and full of culture also be home to the red light district? We spent an evening in the upstairs of Black Tiger Bar in a weird shock and amazement of what was going on around us. Guys actually go in those doors? The prostitute museum, Red Light Secrets, answered a lot of questions for me. It was interesting yet upsetting that so many girls go through this. But also, they probably hate people like me! Two girls wandering around staring at them - no business there! It was a place I needed to see whilst being there, but felt leery and is definitely not my favourite part of the city. There is such a beautiful, artistic and historical background to the city, but this is just part of it's crazy appeal. 


It was our first visit to Amsterdam, we had to be complete tourists and go to the Heineken Experience on the only rainy day. It was actually a lot better than I'd expected, not being a lager drinker myself. I found my self happily finishing off 3 free Heinekens and even buying more in a bar in Leidesplein afterwards! 



Another big tourist spot we had to hit was Museumplein (or Museum Square). It is what it says on the tin really, most of the museums in Amsterdam were in this square. We visited Bols Cocktail Museum - this was smaller than expected and is a self guided tour, so wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, however the cocktail at the end was lovely! We also had a very artistic Friday night at the Van Gogh Museum. A cheeky wine beforehand (we didn't realise you weren't allowed to walk around with it..) made for a lovely start to an interesting museum. The statue in the middle of the water in Museumplein represents the ear that Van Gogh chopped off and sent to a prostitute! I'd love to go back and visit the Stedelijik and Rijksmuesum too, as well as the Anne Frank Museum that you have to book online months in advance!
I had a lovely few days, and I think the best bits were wandering round and exploring. Our apartment was well positioned, just behind Dam Square, meaning we had easy access to explore the Red Light District as well as the opposite way which had lots of lovely shops and cafes. Another highlight was a trip down the canal on a boat tour. It was great to see Amsterdam from its famous water, being one with the house boats and random swimmers, while learning bits about this new place. I actually surprised myself in how much I liked this city and would like to go again. Now I've done the stereotypical touristy stuff, I have an idea of other areas I'd like to explore. Better get saving up!




No comments:

Post a Comment