Wednesday, September 20, 2017

My Tie-Dye Cushion Cover


 So, for starters, this cushion cover didn't turn out at all how I'd expected it to, but I guess that is the beauty of tie-dying! I decided to give it a go after binge watching Channel 4's programme 'Craft-It-Yourself'. Each episode a team of 3 take the task of decorating a room using items they have handcrafted, using many different techniques. Some of them are harder to do yourself, for example a 4 poster bed from trees cut down yourself. However, the crafty makes by Clemency Green are usually a lot more accessible - like tie-dying! I would recommend the show, it definitely got me out of my mope and into a creative and productive mood!

I thought I would give a 10-step-guide to how I created my tie-dye cushion cover. The instructions here are based on the Dylon hand dye I used - make sure you check out the instructions on the back of the pack if you use anything other than this! Its easy to do and looks really effective. I want to go on to make a whole bed full of cushions!


1) Soak your fabric in warm, clean water. The fabric takes up the dye best if it is wet!

2) Twist up your fabric and tie it together with your rubber bands or string. This is the crucial part, and I would recommend testing different ways of scrunching to see what your favourite result is before you dye your cushion (something I realised AFTER I dyed my cushion..) I rolled mine as though wringing out the water. However, you can tie it up any way you like and if you want a surprise, go for it!

3) Fill your bowl with about 6 litres of clean, warm water and add about 250g of salt.

4) In a different bowl, mix your dye with 500ml of warm water. Stir to dissolve, and make sure you wear rubber gloves to avoid blue hands!

5) Pour the dissolved dye into the salty water mix carefully.

6) Take your tied up fabric and dunk it into your bowl. Stir it continuously for 15 minutes, as it will keep floating to the top!

7) Leave the fabric in the dye mix for 45 mins, stirring at regular intervals.

8) Take the fabric out and rinse in cold water. Untie all of the rubber bands/string, and then rinse in warm water until it runs completely clear. I then put mine in the washing machine on its own for my own sense of security.. I didn't want to end up with a blue face, or a smelly pillow!

9) Hang the fabric until fully dry, and fill with cushion filling! There you have it, your own handmade tie-dye cushion!

10) I used a small spare piece of cotton to test out other ways of twisting the fabric. Stupidly, I did this after I'd dyed the pillow and ended up liking this tester better.. However, I sewed up the frayed edges and am going to turn it into a piece of wall art instead! This one was done by simply tying the corners of the fabric in knots - no string needed!


No comments:

Post a Comment