Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Embroidery and Birthday Cards



August is a busy month for me with both my mum and dads birthday falling in it. As I am off uni and have plenty of time on my hands, I thought I would document the birthday cards I made for them.

My Dad's birthday card is shown above. He is a keen golfer, as you can hopefully tell. I used lots of layers and textures, starting by printing paint onto the brown card with hessian. This was followed by a layer of screwed up tissue paper, a layer of hessian fabric with splodges of green paint, and a white golf ball with white paint texture. I printed the checked flags out and glued them around cocktail sticks to give a 3D card with a natural colour palette.



So, again due the fact that I am off uni and was missing being creative, Pinterest inspired me to learn how to embroider. I have only done the two shown on this post so far, and so am very much still a beginner. I have tried to learn some different stitches, and bought a brilliant Mollie Makes book to help inspire my designs and to refer back to when I forget how to stitch.. I have used my own drawings, tracing the designs onto fabric using a water soluble pen so that when I am finished stitching, the pen lines come straight off!

The following design for my mum's birthday card is inspired by a Pinterest post, but drawn by me. There are a lot of improvements I would make to it, but for a beginner to finish in 3 days I couldn't expect perfection! For example, you have probably noticed you can hardly read 'mum', and so I wish I'd have used a blue colour instead.

I have realised I quite like the way type looks in embroidery, and am constantly finding new exciting ideas on Pinterest. Now to keep designing new templates and practise my stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment