Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Surface Gallery


I wasn't really sure what Surface Gallery, Nottingham was until I found it on the art map, and after a quick google thought I'd give it a shot.
An independent art gallery with two floors and a small outdoor bit, it was worth the trip down. At the moment there is a Street Art Festival going on, with street artists both local and abroad featured.


There were some really great designs. Street art is all about personality and being rebellious, so I love the pieces that show this in their subject. Social and political morals come out in some of the pieces, and although they may look to some like 'I could do that', it is a way of showing a strong opinion and retaliating against the norms. I love people who fight for what they believe in, and this art form is a way of showing this. 


Although I am not much of a street artist myself, I can take a lot of inspiration from this style. All art forms should be about expression and standing up for your opinions. Graphic Design is a great way of getting this across to a larger audience, a visual and clear way of provoking thought. I'd love to be able to use my ideas and designs to create controversy and show thought and deeper meaning, rather than just making something look pretty. Why can't the two come together to create one powerful design?

No comments:

Post a Comment