Friday, September 16, 2016

Designer of the Month - @Esthercoxskiosk Esther Cox - September



I have been trying to concentrate on getting back into my graphic design work as I am starting to be needed in the shop a little bit less, and so have been having a good old flick through my new books (bought at the Print Club London exhibition at Somerset House last month). I have fallen in love with the first one I have properly looked at - Print and Pattern Geometric by Bowie Style - and would definitely recommend checking it out!


I decided upon Esther Cox for my Designer of the Month after finding her work in this book and researching more online. The one thing I fell for straight away was the fact she does something I have spoken about a lot - mixing hand made with digital. She begins with collage and textures from playing with different coloured and textured papers, and edits them digitally to give them a more finished yet still rustic appearance. The look of hand craft is my favourite, it always looks homely and imperfect. Playing with materials and cutouts can allow you to try many different layouts, colours, textures quickly and easily, and most importantly of all is fun to get stuck in to!


The dark textures are kept in front, made using inks to create patterns through texture, with the digital colour block added behind on Illustrator. Her designs can fit into many medias as well, with the above being on cards and stationery, and below her use of printing in lines and squares reflecting the subject of the architecture book. She gives the textures of modern and bright twist that I just love!



Go check out Esther Cox on:

Instagram
Twitter
Web

No comments:

Post a Comment