Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Exploring London


I spent the weekend in London a couple of weeks ago, a lovely cultural family trip. We'd had two shows booked on the West End for a while, but our decisions for the rest of the trip were quite last minute. We have been to London quite a few times and so covered a lot of the typical touristy stuff, and so decided to choose to go to places we've never been before. They turned out to be really interesting and starting off the creative mind - just my kind of trip!

Science Museum 
One of the 3 famous museums in a row, the Science Museum was the one I'd never been to until now - and I'm glad I did! It makes you realise how much science/technology and art/design are linked. A William Talbot exhibition about the introduction of the camera. The application of different materials (The model below is built from layers of 213 different materials, and it looked beautiful!). The design of the interactive exhibits. I was really interested in a Christian Moeller exhibition piece covered in signs saying DO NOT TOUCH, yet had no barriers - it was funny seeing everyone react to the loud noises! I also loved the space room. Space has always been a subject of interest, I just find it amazing how much is out there, and how much could be out there that we have no idea. To be able to see Earth from the view of  a space ship must be the most amazing experience, and when Richard Branson makes his space shuttle safe I am there!
Aladdin
Disney is most definitely not for kids! Aladdin was amazing - beautiful costumes, a hilarious genie, and an actual real life magic flying carpet (it was real, trust me..). It's slightly different to the film, but to all Disney lovers old and young this show has to be on your go to list! 


Somerset House
I really loved Somerset House. It had never really been on my mind to go before, but once I had researched it online it seemed right up my street. The Utopia exhibitions really made you think about what life will be like in the future, or what life could be like if things happened differently. My favourite exhibition was the Print Club London one, showcasing screen-printed remakes of posters of the films in this years Film 4 Summer Screenings. I love printing as a technique, and the layers of colours and textures were beautiful. I also may have bought a few books in the shop... I just couldn't resist! Look out for a post about this very soon!


National Portrait Gallery
Just next door the humongous National Gallery on Trafalgar Square, the Portrait Gallery is exactly what it says on the tin! Comparisons of old tudor portraits to those of our own Princes Wills and Harry opened your mind to how things have changed. I liked the more modern portraits best, the portraits that you can understand due to knowing the persons background better. There was also a really interesting room of simply black history - stating that they are a huge part of our history too, and of course just as important. 'There is an umbilical connection. There is no understanding Englishness without understanding its imperial and colonial dimensions.'


Funny Girl
I had no idea what the story of Funny Girl was before I walked into the theatre, but I still enjoyed the show! Sheridan Smith played a girl-next-door type, funny and down to Earth, tried her hardest to get to the top of fame despite not being the prettiest or the tallest. A story of love, Darius (yes, Darius, from Pop Idol fame back in the day!) was also a great singer, Sheridan's rich and smooth fancy-piece. It will make you laugh and aw all at the same time!


House of Mina Lima
We came across this gallery by chance as it is right next door to the Prince Edward Theatre, where we saw Aladdin. I'd heard about a gallery of the graphic designers of the Harry Potter movies, so as soon as I turned round and spotted it I added it to our to do list! We turned up on Saturday 30th July - totally unaware that it was the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child premiere that day, and that the theatre was just next door to the gallery! It was bustling with people, both dressed up to go onto the red carpet as well as mega fans waiting for the arrival of JK Rowling herself. I loved the gallery, and I want to create a post about it soon, so keep your eye out. Minalima designs are beautiful hand crafted paper with such great detail, they are definitely graphic design idols for me! Check them out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment