Monday, July 25, 2016

Exploring Nottingham


I have spent a year living in Nottingham now, yet when you live in a place sometimes you just don't have time to be a tourist due to university/work commitments. So, last week I spent two days doing just that - being a tourist in my own city!

Nottingham is such a vast city that there are still things I want to do, but I have covered quite a few places I've wanted to try or revisit from earlier in the year. I thought I'd give a brief photo diary of my two days before going into further detail of my favourites in future posts!


Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem 
Apparently the oldest pub in England, this cute but surprisingly large pub is built into the sides of the rocks that lead up to the castle walls. Inside the ceilings look like a cave, it's so interesting just to explore, and the chips are amazing - definitely well worth a visit! Next stop on my list to visit is the castle, museum & gallery just next door. That will most definitely mean another trip to this adorable pub!


Canal / Canalhouse
I spent a lot of time down by the canal for my very first university project, so it's always lovely revisiting it in the lovely weather! It's a great area if you just fancy a walk, and I'd recommend stopping in Canalhouse pub for a refresher. In the sun, make sure you sit in the blooming terrace, but make sure you pop inside to get your drinks for a walk over the sparkly bridge with old canal boat sat underneath!



Surface Gallery 
I only found out about this from researching the 'Nottingham Art Map' for things to do, and it turns out they have a Street Art Festival going on at the moment. The two floor studio is full of work from designers all over the globe, my personal favourites being the
social and politically controversial pieces. Keep your eyes peeled for a post looking more into the work displayed!

Sneinton Market
I ended up in Sneinton Market after the guy in the Surface Gallery said there was more street art designs there, so of course I went exploring! I'm quite sad that the market wasn't actually on when I was there, as a few of the stands that still had things in looked like they had cute handmade design work in. I want to go back here on a Monday or Saturday morning to explore the market soon!


Nottingham Contemporary
Sometimes I can be a bit sceptical about fine art, but I actually really enjoyed my trip to Nottingham Contemporary! I'd definitely recommend going just to check out Michael Beutler's exhibition - a colourful treat for the eyes and feet! I'll be blogging more about the artists in this gallery soon.
Creative Quarter
I spent quite a lot of time just walking around the Creative Quarter. This is the Hockley/Lace Market area, and is full of quirky shops, galleries, cafes, bars and more! There is so much to try there, I'd love to have a taste of all the cafes and grab some finds in the vintage shops. This is the area I visit least whilst at uni, yet it is probably my favourite in Nottingham. All the time I was just thinking 'I'm so glad I live here!'


Cobden Chambers / Ideas on Paper
I love the cute and quirky shops on Cobden Chambers. It's a back alley just off Pelham Street - if you don't know it's there it's very unlikely you'd find it! A street full of independent retailers, the reason I know about this is from being told about Ideas on Paper at university. It's a magazine lovers heaven, with any topic you could imagine. All beautifully designed, it's impossible to go in there and not buy anything! I will be reviewing the magazines I bought on the blog soon (this includes Lagom, and a Kate Moross special posterzine!!)


Lakeside Arts / University of Nottingham 
I wanted to come back to Lakeside Arts gallery to see what work had replaced my own (yes, that's right, I've been in a gallery!). After having my The Rime of the Ancient Mariner work in there, it was interesting to see the Uni of Nottingham's Fine Art final exhibition. Much different to my own, I loved the realistic images - I just wish I could draw as well! As it was such a lovely day, I ended it with a walk around the gorgeous boating lake. It felt like I was at Oxford or something, so pretty and much different to my city centre university!

No comments:

Post a Comment